Certified translations in English and Spanish (UK)

In the UK and Ireland the legal figure of the ‘sworn translator’ does not exist and in principle all that is required to certify a translation is to include a statement in writing to the effect that it is a ‘true and accurate translation of the original document’, as well as the date of the translation and the name and contact details of the translator or a representative of the translation company.

In practice, however, British government institutions, including the Home Office and the Passport Office, demand greater assurance as to the accuracy and quality of translations and therefore require them to be certified by professional translators who are members of an official organisation such as the Institute of Translation & Interpreting (ITI) or the Chartered Institute of Linguists (CIoL).

Membership of the Chartered Institute of Linguists and Chartered Linguist status can be verified via the translator’s CIOL register number on the CIOL website (www.ciol.org.uk).

More Posts

License or Licence

Licence, defence and offence are three words of Latin origin that frequently appear in legal translations and doubts sometimes arise as to how these terms

Read More »